Thursday 5 January 2017

Max: Best Friend. Hero. Marine

Author: Jennifer Li Shotz, Boaz Yakin, Sheldon Lettich   Publisher: Harper Collins
Date Published: 9th June 2015
Pages: 256
Suitable For: Ages 8-12
My overall rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Buy your copy here: Amazon

Synopsis
  When Justin's older brother, Kyle, is killed in Afghanistan, Justin can't believe that his brother is really gone. Except there's one thing that Kyle left behind...
  Max is a highly trained military canine who has always protected his fellow soldiers. But when he loses his handler and best friends, Kyle, Max is traumatised and unable to remain in the service.
  He is sent home to America, where the only human he connects with is Justin, and he is soon adopted by Kyle's family, essentially saving his life. At first Justin has no interest in taking Care of his late brother's troubled dog. However, the two learn to trust each other, which helps the four-legged veteran become his heroic self once more. As the pair starts to unravel the mystery of what really happened to Kyle, they find more excitement-and- danger-than they bargained for. But they might also find an unlikely new best friend-in each other.

My Review
  From the very first page in this book we were introduced to the characters and the history of what happened to Justin's brother, Kyle, although it's not until later in the book we find out how he actually died. so there is a hint of suspension.
  Justin, at first, appears a bit of a brat. He illegally rips copies of games and sells them to his friends for money. He answers his family back and lacks respect for his parents, especially his father, also an ex-veteran. On the other hand, you feel sorry for Justin as he has always been the 'golden boy' to his parents, or so it feels to Justin. I think all siblings can relate to that at some point in their lives.
  As the story goes on and Justin goes on his adventures with Max, their newly adopted dog, the pair start getting themselves into all sorts of trouble, but it turns out in the end, it's in the best interests for his family.
  With bad guys you can really love to hate, this book takes you on a journey of happiness, sadness, even a spot of romance tossed in for good measure, you feel like you've been transported into the book and your living the story.

I was given this book for Christmas 2016, and even though I am almost 31 years old, it's a story that any age can enjoy. I primarily wanted to read the book because I had bought the DVD a couple of months before. When I discovered there was a book based on the film I knew I had to read it before I saw the movie...it's a rule of mine.
  It took me approx 3 days to complete. The first couple of days I read approx 35 pages per day as I was coming out of a reading slump but when I got towards the middle of the book it become unputdownable and I ended up reading from page 70 to the end in one sitting...I just had to know what happened!
  I rated this book 4 out of 5 stars, as I felt some parts of the story could have expanded on, and some bits felt a little rushed. Overall it was a really touching story and it just goes to prove that dog really is man's best friend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment